1897 August Belmont Jr. (Namesake Belmont Park) Signed Aqueduct Racing License
|Financier and major owner/ breeder of thoroughbred racehorses, August Belmont Jr. is one of the three members of the New York Racing Commission that has signed this historic two page document dated August 21, 1897 granting license to the Queens County Jockey Club for the running of races, race meetings, steeplechases and steeplechase meetings at Aqueduct Raceway, located on the grounds of the original Ridgewood Reservoir Aqueduct (belonging to the Brooklyn Waterworks) in Queens, New York City. The Queen County Jockey Club had just opened Aqueduct just three years prior. Recognized as one of the forefathers of modern thoroughbred racing, Belmont would open his own track, “Belmont Park,” in Elmont, Long Island in 1905 which immediately became the new home of the prestigious Belmont Stakes which was first inaugurated in the honor of Belmont’s father in 1867. Belmont served as the first President of the Jockey Club, the governing body and breed registry to thoroughbred racing and is credited with saving thoroughbred racing when it was at its lowest ebb during the early part of the twentieth century. To this day, Belmont Park operates as the largest thoroughbred racing facility in the state of New York and Aqueduct is the only racetrack operating in New York City. This historic license is truly worthy of placement in the finest horse racing collection or collection of the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in Saratoga, New York. Signed in black fountain pen. Comes with a certificate that unconditionally guarantees authenticity.
|Price: $7,500.00 Or ||
Click on a thumbnail above to display a larger image below
Hold down the mouse button and slide side to side to see more thumbnails(if available).
Click above for larger image.